25 April 2010

Crunch Time

Well, the results this weekend went pretty much as expected. Spurs lost to Manchester United, City gained 1 point, and Villa and Liverpool both won their matches. The race for 4th place is tighter then ever with 2-3 games left to play.

This past weekend, while putting in the sprinkler heads and lines in the backyard, Matt and I talked about the different scenarios and tried to figure out what might happen this weekend (the second to the last weekend of play). Or, to put it another way, what was the ideal result(s) that would give our team the best chance to end up in 4th place come the end of the season.

While I was in the shower this morning I came to my final decision on how things will break down this weeken
d. Spurs v Bolton and City v Villa are both being played at 8 a.m. on Saturday. I concluded that the result most beneficial to Spurs in the other game really depends on what happens in the Spurs match...and vice versa.

For example, if Spurs win then the best result in the other match is a Villa win. That would keep Spurs in 4th place on GD with a game in hand against Villa and 4 points clear of their next opponent, City. Essentially, that simple combination would mean that Spurs' next match against City would be irrelevant and they would only have to win their final game to take 4th place. Liver
pool wouldn't factor into the equation even if they won their remaining 2 matches. If Spurs only get a point this weekend then the ideal result in the other game is also a draw. That would keep the advantage in the Spurs camp and with a draw against City and a win in their final game, 4th place.

So, since I'll be rooting for a Spurs win by default I'll be watching that game first. Here's hoping for a Spurs and Villa victory this Saturday.