05 May 2010

Today's Big Game (Twitter Style)

Throughout the day I'm going to make periodic updates to this post.

0800 - Today is finally here...the day of the big game. Hasn't really sunk in yet how big this is. Have the DVR set to record at 1300 local for viewing tonight. Going to listen to some podcasts during the day to get psyched up (or out).

0930 - Redknapp is all over the headlines today...obviously voicing his opinions on all things Manchester City. Love the mind games (pressure is on City, they are on course to win the league in a few years, City bullied Spurs regarding the Palacios and Bellamy signings, etc). With them playing in front of their home fans and needing a win, we'll see if this adds to their nervousness.

0945 - Glad to hear our GK Gomes will be playing through his tweaked thigh injury from the weekend. That would have been a disaster seeing as we don't have a suitable backup. Maybe we should petition the FA for an emergency signing (rolls eyes).

1130 - The day is flying by since work has been busy...probably won't get many chances to think about the game until tonight. That could be a good thing. Must remember - no Internet surfing this afternoon!

1220 - Kickoff in about a half an hour. No lineups posted yet...by now the stadium must be pretty full and the players probably starting their warm ups. I'm planning on going for a jog/walk outside over lunch so I don't accidentally see anything on one of the ESPN networks. I'm going to keep my blog up so I don't accidentally open the Internet this afternoon and see something on my homepage.

1225 - Of course, the lineups are posted right after I said something. Gomes at GK, Ledley King is going to start for the second time in a week! Bale at LM, Lennon gets his first start in months after his injury! Modric at CM instead of Palacios. Crouch and Defoe up top...looks like this could be an open and attacking game. I think Harry got the formation right. Bale and Lennon to terrorize the flanks, Defoe the sharpshooter with a long ball opportunity to Crouch. Defense looks solid. Come On You Spurs!

1300 - It's kickoff time...which means time to leave the office and go outside. Hopefully the time goes by fast this afternoon... I'll be wearing my lucky & loud Spurs shorts for good luck.

1500 - Well, after walking outside for an hour and freezing my tail off and tidying up some loose ends, I find myself back at my desk. The game is over and I feel like the only one in the world who doesn't know what happened. In a weird sort of way, I feel more nervous now. Everything's been decided now and I don't know if I should be gutted or should celebrate.

1520 - I just realized I inadvertently had Mexican for lunch and it's Cinco de Mayo. If that isn't a good omen, I don't know what is. I sense a fiesta tonight.

1700 - Well, I've successfully avoided the Internet at work and have no idea what has taken place. This will probably be my last entry until I start watching the game. I'm planning on having my iPad next to me to post updates...

1730 - Would you believe it? At the exact moment I pulled into the garage Barry Manilow's "Can't Smile Without You" came on my iPod. Tottenham Hotspur fans and this song have a history together, most notably their attempt in 2008 to push it to the top of the charts 30 years after it was released. You'll sometimes see a banner with "Tottenham Hotspur Can't Smile Without You" unveiled at a match. Of course, I had to sit in the garage and sing it all the way through. Hmm, 1978, the year I was born. When I opened the door my Spurs hat was hanging on the coat hook. If I thought Cinco de Mayo was a good omen...omens don't get any better then this.

1930 - Sitting down to watch the game now after dinner, giving Julia a bath, and putting her down for bed. Forgot Safari has some issues with posting blogs so I can't do play by play updates.

2020 - First half ends 0-0. I feel really nervous that City are going to get a goal. They've had a lot of pressure on us and most of the game has been played in our end. However, we've hit the post (Crouch), had a goal disallowed very questionably (King), and just barely missed the goal by a few inches (Bale). I fear that not getting one of those to the back of the net might come back to bite us. City have also had a few chances, but Spurs the more dangerous ones. If we can score first I'll feel much better. Still not sure we can play the entire match in our end in the second half and not concede. This was expected though - I just hope we get a little more possession in the second half to relieve the pressure. They've looked like the better team so far tonight.

2130 - CROUCHY'S HAVING HIS NACHOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, what a game. 1-0 final score and Spurs finally make it to the Champions League after a 48 year European Cup drought. I'm spent, really I am. We played much better in the second half and could have scored 2 or 3 more. Since the goal came so late (82 min) it was a pretty miserable game to watch. City never looked like scoring (really) but you just never know. Everyone for Spurs played great...it was a true team effort.

I don't know why this is, but after the final whistle went I felt kind of sad and mellow. Maybe it's the past few year's feelings finally get out or maybe I just felt a bit lonely. Everyone was celebrating and I just kind of sat there on my couch. I know I haven't been a fan that long, but ever since I picked Spurs we've talked about nothing but qualifying for the Champions League. Was it the end of what I've known at Spurs? Who knows why - maybe a long day at work too - but I was sad happy. I guess it's the equivalent of when a girl cries but is happy? I think, knowing myself, that tonight won't be the night for celebrations. Tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that it will finally sink in and I'll be able to enjoy it. I'm glad I've saved the last 4 games on my computer...after all the talk the past 9 months of whether or not we could continue our great start it really came down to the great run at the end of the season. I guess this means I should probably shell out some $ for this year's shirt and update my pictures in the basement.

Glory, Glory Tottenham Hotspur. I Can't Smile Without You!