26 May 2010

USA 2-4 Czech Republic

Well, that didn't turn out as expected. First and foremost this game was used by coach Bradley to get a good look at the second and third string...so he could make the right roster cuts (which are being announced today). Most all of the players last night won't ever see action in South Africa and the rest won't even make the team. Our top 7 or so players didn't even dress. At one point I think we caught Bocanegra eating a buffalo wing in the team luxury box.

So, all we learned from last night is that we have no depth and Onyewu is nowhere near ready. The latter is more of a problem, because we really don't have anybody else. As I mentioned yesterday, our defense will probably struggle...especially on the left side against a player like Lennon (England's RM). At any rate, I wouldn't put too much stock in this game. I didn't realize that our best players were going to be sitting in the stands. Saturday against Turkey we should see most of them play at least for a full 45 minutes.

Also, you have to check this article out. This guy has gone through all 32 teams in this year's World Cup and equated them to teams from all sports in the U.S. It's a great read and very funny if you know anything about American sports:

The Unlikely Fan