19 December 2010

60 Minutes: Good Cop, Bad Cop

When was the last time you saw someone you knew on 60 Minutes? Tonight Stacey and I sat down to watch a few of the 60 Minutes episodes that had accumulated on our DVR. We started with the oldest first - an episode from a few weeks ago that featured a story on the Afghan Police force.

I was quite surprised when they flashed the below scene on the screen for a few seconds:

"There is now a plan to teach tens of thousands of Afghan police how to read at a basic level. Drug testing is mandatory, and to combat corruption, police wages have been doubled. To make sure Afghan officers actually get paid, American military teams monitor the police bureaucracy."



"I know him!", I blurted to Stacey. The Air Force officer said a few words about ensuring pay, and that was it...a few seconds of fame. His is in Afghanistan right now serving as an Afghan National Police Finance Reform Mentor...a fancy way of saying he makes sure the police officers get paid correctly and on time.

It took me a few hours of racking my brain and a Google search to remember his name - but I got. This is none other then Captain (or recently, Major) Jason Sanchez. I spent 3 months with him in the fall of 2001 at Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls, TX. We were both in the same Air Force Basic Financial Management Class - the introductory "tech" training that all Air Force Comptroller officers are required to complete. This was the very first training course I attended in the Air Force. I remember a few things about him - he was prior enlisted, I think he was one of our class leaders (based on his seniority in the Air Force from his enlisted service), and the fact that he never graduated with our class. Curious to know why? He broke his leg playing intramural flag football! He was in the hospital for awhile and had to attend the next class to complete the curriculum.


I've always felt somewhat responsible for his broken leg. The prior play to his fracture and scoring an own goal against rivals Air Academy (and we lost by 1) are probably my biggest competitive sports blunders. Jason was our quarterback and I played mostly running back and receiver. The ball was on our own 20 yard line. I ran a quick route over the middle and he found me, wide open. I turned with the ball and there was nothing but green grass between me and the end zone. I took off sprinting knowing that no one was going to catch me. At about midfield, my left knee met the ball and I fumbled it - all on my own. I remember the other team audibly laughing at me...a few uncontrollably. In flag football, once the ball hits the ground, it's dead. So, instead of scoring a touchdown, we had to line up again on offense. On the next play they pressured him, and while he was trying to get away he planted his foot and twisted his leg. His lower-leg bone fractured in a spiral pattern due to the twisting motion. The ambulance had to come on the field and take him to the hospital. Good times.

That class was a weird one in many ways. I think there were about 30 students in it. We had another guy in our class that was later kicked out of the Air Force due to mental instabilities. We all knew something wasn't quite right with him in class and weren't surprised later to find out he was kicked out. At one point, when he was approached by a class leader about his tardiness, he wanted to "take it outside". We were all like...uh, what?...that doesn't make any sense. The saddest story was that another classmate of ours (female - also prior enlisted), was later murdered by her ex-husband in North Carolina. I'm not going to go into too many details because it was a terrible, terrible story. At the beginning of our class she didn't wear a ring, but towards the end of the class she had started wearing it again. I have no idea who is raising her children now.

Despite ending the post in a very depressing manner, I also have a lot of good memories of that time in Texas. I can't help but think that could have been me on 60 Minutes if I would have stayed in the Air Force. I'm convinced that I would have already spent time in Iraq or Afghanistan (or there now, even) if I had not left. It's coming up on 4 years since the last time I put on the uniform. I don't really miss it that much overall. There are parts I miss and parts I don't miss. One thing is for sure though: my life is completely different then it was back in 2001.