01 December 2010

We Made It Home

1,160 miles in exactly 16.5 hours. Including stops, that's an average of 70.3 miles per hour. With two little kids, that's got to be some kind of record.

We got up very early Tuesday morning (Stacey 2 a.m., Aaron 3 a.m.) and left the house at 4:45 a.m. Spokane time. The roads were clear the entire way across Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming, which is why we decided to drive home when we did. There had been a lot of snow at the end of the Thanksgiving weekend and another storm was rolling in. In short, a break in the weather. While we drove home on Tuesday Spokane got another 9 inches of snow. Money.

The roads had been cleared by the holiday travelers, both of snow and of cars. There were hardly any cars on the road. In fact, from Spokane to the Denver metro area I wasn't passed by another car. I set the cruise control to "5 over" and away we went. I did all the passing. Technically, 1 car did pass me but shortly afterward I passed him while he was pulled over at a rest stop. Does that count since I saw it? The jury is out on that one.

Julia and Jonathan did pretty well, all things considered. Oddly enough, I passed a pickup truck on the interstate in Wyoming that had a cat sitting on the seat. I did the exact same thing with Kitty on that stretch of road when I moved from Spokane to California (via Colorado and Texas). The cat seemed pretty content to be free and able to watch the world pass by.