Today I got a call from the HR department at Compassion. They want to offer me the position pending a background and reference check. The HR rep jokingly said it was just to make sure I didn't have a warrant out for my arrest in Florida. My response was that if it's Florida that they are checking, then everything should come back clean. Next week everything should be formalized and I will officially be offered the Managerial Accountant job.
Is it just a coincidence that the day after I left Early Connections this job was advertised? After all the things that happened to get to this point, it's hard to see it that way. I think that this current phase of life has really made us appreciate having a good job with benefits and also what Compassion does around the world. Our family situation, albeit mainly due to personal decisions and minor in comparison, seems to have enough parallels with the mission of Compassion to have gotten my attention. At the very least, I am excited to work at a place that I can completely support. Up to this point in my life, that hasn't been the case.
This couldn't have come at a better time. I'll probably start sometime around the second or third week of August, if I had to guess. That will put my time off at exactly one year. Considering everything going on with Jonathan's medical issues, related bills, and our family in general, this was about as long as I could have pushed not working. Looking back, we'll probably conclude that the timing was a bit too close for comfort (we're on borrowed time already), but hopefully still see this past year as memorable and worthwhile. You might think that not working is all rainbows and unicorns, but Stacey and I have both given up a lot to do this. I think time will prove it was a good decision, despite the bumps along the way.