11 August 2011

Premier Disappointment

The "football" season starts on Saturday, and boy WAS I excited. That is, until a bunch of idiots started rioting in the streets of London (and beyond). Spurs were scheduled to kick off the entire league season with the only early game at home against Everton. For those in the United States, it was scheduled to be on ESPN 2 in HD.

A week ago the UK riots started in the borough of Tottenham. The incidents happened pretty close to the stadium - in fact, the Tottenham Hotspur ticket windows were entirely smashed to bits. As a precaution, the Premier League announced today that the match on Saturday was canceled. I could accept that if not for the fact that it was the only match that has been postponed. I guess I'll have to wait another week.

One of the things I like to do each season is predict where I think the teams will finish in the league. I've stopped assigning places to every team since it's too tedious. Plus, I think it's more fun to place the teams together in similar groups. So, without further ado, here are my predictions, in alphabetical order:

Title Contenders
Chelsea, Manchester United

Third Place
Manchester City

Fourth Through Sixth
Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham

Rounding Out The Top Half
Everton, Fulham, Stoke, Sunderland

Mid-Table Mediocrity
Bolton, Newcastle, Villa, West Brom, Wolves

Fighting For Survival
Blackburn, Norwich City,
QPR, Swansea, Wigan