24 September 2011

Droppin FPIES Bombs

On Monday, October 3, we have an appointment scheduled with the allergist for Jonathan. Two posts ago I talked about allergies, and after doing some more research his symptoms seem more consistent with a specific class of allergies - the non IgE mediated class.

To give you a quick summary, IgE mediated responses are what I commonly think of when I hear the word allergy. Hives, eczema, immediate reaction to foods, seasonal allergies, and other food allergies like peanuts. It seems to be the most common and well understood of the two. The other kind, non IgE mediated allergic responses, are associated with disorders such as Celiac (a type of protein enteropathy), FPIES, and I read even something such as Crohn's disease.

These types of disorders are a lot more consistent with vomiting and low weight or failure to thrive. We haven't experienced any other symptoms in Jonathan that you would expect with the standard IgE allergy type. The point is, with a family history of food allergies, Celiac, and Crohn's on Stacey's side, we need to determine if any of these things are complicating the situation (if not the cause of everything). Even if we determine nothing is wrong we can at least check it off the list. Our appointment is supposed to last anywhere from one to three hours. I hope on that same day we can start running some tests.

If you're interested in reading a good summary article, click on the World Allergy Organization link. Halfway down the article you'll find a description and example of the different kinds of non IgE mediated food allergic disorders. This would explain his lack of growth and vomiting in addition to what we've observed when he drinks milk or has milk-based formula.