16 September 2011

Hot Cocoa

Today the entire family paid me a visit at work. For a couple of weeks now Julia has been very interested in seeing my new desk. I think it's fun (and good) for her to see where I go every day. Additionally, it was good for Stacey and my coworkers to meet each other.

One of the nice things about working here is that we have access to free espresso. Each area in the building has a break room with an espresso machine in it. If you want an espresso or an americano you can drink as much as your adrenal glands can handle. The machine also dispenses hot cocoa, lattes, and mochas for only a quarter. The coffee is pretty good considering the cost - it's definitely better then what we have at home. I bet the machines pay for themselves in increased productivity alone.

Before the family headed over I asked Stacey to bring a couple of coffee mugs for all of us. I wanted Jules to get some hot cocoa and for us to share some cocoa/coffee together before they went on their merry way. The only problem was that neither of us had a quarter, let alone three. Julia came to the rescue. Great Grandma Heinz had given Julia a $20 bill when she was very little. We had cashed it in for some quarters and put them in a piggy bank years ago. What's so cute about the situation is not that Julia remembered that she had money, but that she INSISTED she bring three quarters, one for each of us, so that we could all buy a drink.

It's really nice to see her think about other people, even if it's just her parents. I think most kids this age tend to be pretty self-focused. The fact that she wanted everyone to have something to drink was pretty amazing.