27 January 2013

Cabin Fever

We pretty much picked the perfect weekend to spend at the cabin with my parents. 

The day was warm and calm and at night we got a little bit of snow. Although I don't have any pictures of the pond, we spent most of our time outside playing on its frozen surface. I learned how to use the ATV's plow to clear the snow off of the pond so we could pull the kids in a sled on it, ice skate, and have some hockey fun. The kids favorite game was for me to pull them as fast as I could in the sled with my hockey skates and whip them around the ice at the end of the run. My legs are tired.

Late Saturday afternoon was the perfect time to burn the growth my dad had cleared earlier in the year. The wind was calm and we had snow all around the fire pit. The kids liked the fire even though it was hot. Initially, the flames went up about 15 feet into the air. It eventually burned itself down into a really nice fire. I spent some time alone outside after dark tending to the fire. It was relaxing.

The kids slept well after the big weekend playing in the snow. I really enjoyed the time outside and being able to have some fun after a long week at work.  It's rare in Colorado these days to be able to ice skate outside on a pond and have a bonfire afterwards.