21 January 2013

Fireplace Trim

As Jonathan would say, "Ah dun"! 

The winter months are always a good time to do these sort of projects. I wasn't planning on doing this so soon, but a week or so ago I found a "mantel" at Lowe's that fit our space exactly.  It was exactly the right length to cover the existing tile and the depth worked well too.  We didn't want a true shelf because it would stick out too far for the space. I think the mantel is really supposed to be a door or window capstone, but I doubt anyone will know the difference.

I used a few nails, a few staples, and a lot of adhesive, depending on the area. The nails worked well where I could go into the wall, the staples for the trim on top of other trim (staples aren't as long), and then adhesive on everything that had tile behind it. I had to do a lot of thinking about the best way to cover up the cheap brass around the edges of the tile. You'll notice that I brought the face out a little bit and placed a small trim along the outside edge to cover that up. Around the inside I added some more trim, although technically not to code. It could easily be removed and might be accidentally by the kids anyway.

The vents and screen were spray painted with a satin black that can withstand heat to cover up the rest of the brass. I used the same Sherwin-Williams paint that matches the rest of our house trim. It's great paint - probably the best there is. 

It feels good to be done with the trim projects on the main level. I'll next move upstairs with my projects. This winter I'd like to finish up the laundry room for Stacey. It needs paint and a few functional additions.