14 March 2014

Debt Free For Two Weeks

Dave Ramsey would be proud, or so I hear.  I've actually never heard any of his material.  Today we paid off our first house and are completely debt free.  We also drive cars that are 17 and 20 years old.  It's something we'll enjoy for a few days, because in two weeks we'll be moving to a new house. It's still pretty hard to believe considering the tens of thousands we've spent on Jonathan's medical bills and that I took a full year off of work.

This isn't something we've done on our own though.  I still drive the same car my parents let me use in high school.  I didn't leave college with any school debt, thanks to my parents and the Air Force. Grandma Heinz helped along the way. Even a little here and there for lunch or dinner by numerous people all contributed to the cause. Of course, let's not forget Divine Intervention, putting us in the right place at the right time when I got out of the Air Force in Hawaii as well as providing great jobs with benefits since that time. Stacey has also worked "her hands to the bone" to keep her job and tend to the kids while young.


On the other hand, we've spent money but not on things I would consider consumer goods or depreciating assets.  Most of our money spent has been put into our largest asset, this house. I guess that explains why not many people are able to do what we've done.  It takes a group effort and all things going your way - in addition to making good decisions.