19 April 2008

30th Birthday Part 1 & 2

Although my 30th birthday is on the 26th, I started the celebration early. Saturday was a big day. It began at 3:30 a.m. and ended at 11:30 p.m.

In the morning hours I climbed
Fletcher Peak with Nathan. Fletcher Peak rises all the way up to ~13,950 feet above sea level, just missing the 14er cut. However, because it is still winter and the fact that 50 feet really isn't that big of deal, this climb was vastly more difficult than the 14ers I did last summer on dry ground. We began the 8 mile round-trip early. The full moon lighted our way in the early morning hours. Snowshoes were required the whole trip. In addition, I don't think was possible to make it to the summit without an ice axe. 7.5 hours later we were back to the car. I had a good time at first, but towards the end I was begging for the trip to be over. I have a love-hate relationship with climbing mountains in the winter...more specifically, I hate doing them but love the pictures and the feeling of accomplishment afterwards. It requires more physical and mental strength then anything else I've ever had to do.

I made it home just in time to take a shower before my parents and the family headed up to the Rapids game in Denver. My parents had purchased tickets to the Rapids - Earthquakes game for my birthday. It was a lot of fun. The food was great and the stadium was packed. The Rapids lost 0 - 2 to the expansion Earthquakes, and in all honesty, looked pretty poor. They are still on top of the western conference, however. A quick drive down I-25 and up the stairs later, I collapsed on the bed at 11:30 p.m.

I feel sore but well today. I feel especially well now that I've had a chance to look at the pictures from yesterday's events.

Music by Skillet (Re-birthing)