29 April 2008

United v. Barcelona

Manchester United guaranteed an all-English Champions League final tonight, advancing 1-0 on aggregate. I really felt over the two matches Barcelona out-played them. I'm not saying Barcelona deserved to win, however. It was a weird thing to watch 180 minutes of football with one team controlling all of the possession and dictating the pace of both matches yet not knowing what to do in front of the opposition's net. Credit goes to United's defense, but I now understand why Barcelona has not scored in their last 4 games. It almost looked like the keep-away drill we used to run where you could pass all you wanted but weren't allowed to shoot.

In the end I am glad United won, even if this two legged tie more closely resembled the historically drab contests between the other 2 semi-finalists. If Liverpool can overcome their own-goal tomorrow and advance to the final on 21 May, the color red will once again be marched victoriously throughout the streets of Moscow.