10 June 2010

Let's Get This Party Started

I'm like a little boy on Christmas Eve! The sooner I go to bed, the sooner the World Cup will come tomorrow. I just finished watching ESPN's special World Cup preview show and I must say that I'm impressed with the level of coverage they are giving this tournament so far. This sport has come so far in this country just in my lifetime. I remember growing up when our regional Fox Sports channel started showing games. Usually it was a game every other week and usually it was about a week or two old. Now I can see pretty much any game I want, live. ESPN appears to have committed serious resources and are going to give this tournament their best shot.

Here's my prediction/observation: this sport will be accepted by my generation and future generations in this country. Whenever I meet someone who is really outspoken against the sport, they are from an older generation. My generation has given the sport a chance, and now it's available for viewing at its highest level. An open mind and in-depth exposure will only grow the sport here...maybe not to the levels of other sports, but at least to the point of acceptance and respect.

So it begins tomorrow. I feel slightly behind in all the build up since I haven't been able to watch much TV. However, that stuff is all talk and speculation so I'll be able to hop in now that games are starting and probably won't miss a beat. I'm really excited...but with the combo of ESPN, HD, football, and U2, how could I NOT be excited? This is really the only global sporting event in the entire world, and, because of that, it's not just about the sport. The world is watching (literally)...so don't miss out on the party.