22 June 2010

World Cup Hitting Its Stride

My my my - how quickly things change. Last week I was singing the praises of the referees and lamenting the lack of entertaining football and goals scored. In the past few days we've seen some crazy scores (7-0 and about 3 goals a game) and some even crazier refereeing decisions. This is still currently the lowest scoring World Cup in history (so far) but the drama has been turned up a notch. In addition to that, the final group games started today. Since all teams in the same group play their final games at the same time, it means the tournament has effectively reached the "knockout phase". Teams know what they need to do at the start but it also changes on the fly depending on what's happening in the other game at that moment. It all adds up to an exciting end to the group phase.

Speaking of which, the USA plays tomorrow in its final group match against Algeria. It's a must win...well, a must tie as long as England also ties but doesn't score 3 goals or more then we do. You can see where this is going. At any rate, if both games end in a tie but England score 2 more goals then we do (e.g. 0-0 and 2-2), then I believe all 6 tie-breakers will be even between the USA and England and to determine a winner they will have to draw a name out of a hat. Can you imagine?

As far the USA is concerned, I really don't know what to expect anymore. We're good enough to win, yet we're also not good enough to lose. We let teams score for fun in the first minutes of a game then make a World Cup record comeback (if that 3rd goal would have been allowed). Point is, I don't know which team is going to show up. I'd like to think we can beat Algeria but I can also see us getting a 1-1 draw. Will the real slim shady please stand up? Regardless, I will be watching the game live win, lose, or draw.