04 June 2010

World Cup Predictions

We're only a week away from the start of World Cup 2010! So, I've made my predictions for each group and the knockout phase. Brazil and Spain are clearly the best teams in the world right now and I have them meeting in the final...with Brazil winning it all.

Group A
A really tough group to call. Three good teams and one poor team. I think France will beat Mexico and that's enough to send them through.

Group B
One good team and three mediocre teams. Korea, with their relentless energy will find a way to beat one of the other two teams.

Group C
England to win the group. I did not advance the USA mainly due to the order in which the games are played. It's very important. Unless the USA beats Slovenia in the second round, I don't think we'll advance. In the final game between England and Slovenia they will both probably only need a draw to advance...and that's what will happen.

Group D
Superduper sveinistager. I've dropped Ghana down a bit after their recent friendly results. So, Serbia is the better of the rest and will advance in second place.

Group E
The Dutch will destroy this group. Denmark will find a way to win a match and lowly Cameroon and Japan will be left scratching their heads.
Group F
By far the most interesting group for me. Three really good teams and one whipping boy. Italy are notoriously slow starters, Paraguay led the South American qualifying group for most of the tournament and Slovakia won their qualifying group that included Slovenia and the Czech Republic. I see a lot of draw and this thing coming down to goal difference.

Group G
Brazil and take your pick. I have Portugal advancing with a draw against the Ivory Coast and Brazil. We'll see. Tough call for second. North Korea, minus twelve goal difference

Group H
Although it'll end close, the group should be a runaway with Spain and Chile (Swiss will enter the last game against Honduras with one point).

Knockout Stage
The winner of the USA's group (group C, most likely England) will have the easiest run to the semifinals. A Netherlands Brazil matchup could be epic. The bottom half of the bracket is stacked. No matter what the order, I think Spain should have enough to come out of it. If not, you could take Germany, Argentina, or Italy.

Final
I would love to see a Brazil Spain final. They are the two best teams right now in the world.