23 June 2010

USA 1-0 Algeria

I don’t even know where to begin… It doesn’t get any more dramatic then it did today. We were 3 minutes away from being eliminated from our group for the second time in a row until the ball finally went in the net. From eliminated to group winners with one kick of the ball. We had a goal disallowed AGAIN, although in full speed I called it offside myself so I can’t fault the linesman at all. We could have scored 7 goals and the game should have been over in the first half if not the second.

As the game progressed and chance after chance was missed, this game was shaping up to be a heartbreaker for the U.S. A hit post here, and wide open goal missed there, shots sent right at the Algerian keeper all pointed to the fact that we weren’t going to get the job done. All we needed was ONE, just ONE to go in and it wasn’t working out for us even though it would have 9 times out of 10. Finally, thanks to Tim Howard (our keeper), we counter-attacked with advantage in numbers with about 180 seconds to spare. He won’t be on the official score sheet with an assist, but his perfect throw to midfield started our last break that resulted in the goal. We may not be the best team in the world, but we sure have shown some character. Kudos to the team for not getting frustrated and continuing the fight. If this game wasn’t an example of the American attitude, I don’t know what is.

Tactically speaking, we played very well. I’m referring mostly to the defense. Although Algeria are hardly an offensive powerhouse (they failed to score a single goal in the tournament) our defense still had some work to do…and almost got scored on after 5 minutes. To be fair, that was one of probably two chances they had all night. Algeria were a totally different opponent, but I have to give myself at least a pat on the back for calling for Onyewu to be benched. In my previous post on the Slovenia game, I faulted him for both goals. At work I was explaining what happened on those two goals we conceded against Slovenia and said that I would probably bench Onyewu after that performance. Well, he did get benched (for Bornstein) and the U.S. recorded it’s first ever shutout in group play since the 1-0 win over England in 1950 (I believe). We also won our third group match for the first time in history and won our group for the first time since the first ever World Cup in 1930. Speaking of, I don’t count the pathetic 1930 stat that says we finished third in that World Cup. It was the inaugural World Cup and there were only 4 teams that made it to the knockout round. We lost to Argentina 6-1 and there was no third place game…so we tied for third place. I digress.

ESPN’s motto this tournament is “one game changes everything”. Based on what I watched today in all the games (both Groups C & D), one GOAL changes everything. The other day, a coworker who likes the sport stopped by my cubicle wondering why (for ratings sake) they had scheduled both of the final group games at the same time. He thought that was a bad idea until I explained to him the equality/fairness and drama it creates. Today we witnessed some serious drama. At one point in the afternoon games in Group D, one goal would have completely changed who advanced…just like in Group C. All 8 teams were within 1 goal of advancing to the next round today…and that’s why today was so exciting and yet so exhausting. As I mentioned yesterday, this tournament has really heated up as it has progressed. Today was a great day to be a soccer fan…I guess unless your team didn't advance.

At the end of all the craziness we ended up being matched up with Ghana. The game is on Saturday at noon (kickoff noon-thirty). Did you know that Ghana eliminated us from the previous World Cup? They beat us 2-1 in our final group match…meaning we’ll have a chance to even the score against them. If we would have won that game in 2006 we would have advanced. As far as their team goes, they are physical monsters. Some of the guys look like they should be playing safety in the NFL. They are fast, strong, and will attack anyone. This should mean a wide open, entertaining game. I think we match up well with teams like this – mainly because we’re very similar. I think we struggle against the more tactical, skillful sides but can go toe to toe with anyone in a slugfest. I won’t predict the outcome, but it should be an entertaining one to watch. Coincidently, at the Confederations Cup last summer in South Africa, we also just barely squeaked by the group stage and then we beat world #1 Spain in the next match. Since we did the same thing today, I hope we can take this emotional rollercoaster and once again use it to our advantage in the next game. USA!