25 August 2010

UEFA Champions League Here We Come!

Major disaster averted. After a terrible first 30 minutes on the plastic pitch in Switzerland last week, Spurs came out on fire tonight and cruised to a 4-0 (6-3 on aggregate) win. Peter Crouch scored a hat trick after opening the scoring in the 5th minute. Really, that was the best start we could have hoped for...5 minutes in and we were in the group stage if the scoreline held.

It was a great "European" night at White Heart Lane. The game was played under the lights and in steadily falling rain. I've played in a few night games in the rain and there is nothing like it. The team really rose to the occasion. This win was worth about 30 million dollars U.S. in future Champions League revenue (mostly television related, I assume). The word on the street is that we've been waiting to sign a new player until we had these funds secured. So, we'll probably sign a new player in the next week before the window closes.

We were by far the better team tonight, which makes me wonder just how different playing on plastic turf really is for a team that isn't used to it. I've played on it before and it's not an issue - it's just different. The ball moves differently on it. Maybe that's partly why it took us the first half to really turn the tide and our "quality" to overcome the situation last week. I really think FIFA or UEFA should mandate that these big games have to be played on real grass.

The goal that really gave us some space was Defoe's second goal. Sure, he handled it almost as blatantly as Henry did for France, but the blind finish with the left foot that curled in and then off the post was top class. Missed calls like this happen more often then you'd think, so I'm OK with it. It's just part of the game. I would have felt the same way had the roles been reversed. After tonight's missed call and the goal last weekend against Stoke City that was never given, I can't help but think that our luck is finally changing. Like the Red Sox of old, Spurs have been on the short end of many plays and games in the past. I have the opinion that missed calls like this even themselves out over time, so it's nothing to get too worked up about. Besides, we were the better team over the course of both legs and even more so tonight.

Crouch just schooled the defender on his second goal (the third of the match) - a header from a corner kick. When Bale was taken down in the box everyone was hoping Crouch would step up and take the kick for the hat trick. I laughed because I've never seen Crouch, a 6' 7" striker, take a penalty kick. He slotted it home with confidence though. Unlike Everton and Newcastle in the past, Spurs are the first non "top four" team to make it through the playoff game and into the group stage.

Tomorrow is the group stage draw. Hopefully we'll get put into a group with Barcelona, Real Madrid, or another one of the world's biggest clubs. Even the teams in the second pot should be considered some of the world's best. We'll probably be in the third pot, leading me to think barring a very favorable draw, advancing out of the group stage will be difficult and not expected. I think a lot of fans are just happy to be involved in the competition after some 50 years of sitting on the sideline. We're just going to enjoy the ride with little or no expectations. All of the hard work last year and over the latest two legs have guaranteed at least 6 games in the Champions League.

There's nothing like hearing the Champions League Hymn and then seeing Spurs take the field. Hopefully we can continue this great run under Redknapp and have many more nights like tonight.