I decided to give Stacey a break this morning and let her sleep (she does it for me the other 364 days of the year). I wasn't in the mood to sleep anymore anyway. I decided to give the Snugli a try, since he does better when someone holds him. Even though he's small, he can get heavy really fast and it ties my hands up when I hold him.
Fast forward to almost 5 in the morning. I have surfed the web, updated our standings in fantasy football, and sipped some hot coffee. He's slept the entire time. I was just thinking how well this was going when "the urge" hit me. We're talking sit down, read the paper urge - not stand up, aim for the bushes urge. I couldn't hold it, so I had a dilemma. Do I take him out of the Snugli and deal with certain re-awakening, for which I had worked so hard to avoid? Or, do I suck it up and awkwardly "take care of business"? I chose the latter, of course. It's only fitting the roles get reversed every now and then.
I gingerly sat down and slipped my pajamas to my ankles. With the exception of his little feet dangling dangerously near the "death zone", it was surprisingly easy as long as nothing else moved. He squirmed once, when I moved, and I thought how funny it would be if he woke up due to other factors related to this process. Afterwards, it quickly became very clear that I had not thought about clean up and reassembly. To use a variation of an old flight instructor saying, I wanted to learn to fly but didn't think about learning how to land. I eventually figured it out. The hardest part was getting my underpants and pajamas pulled back up! I couldn't exactly bend over and grab them, since my leaning would put Jonathan parallel to the floor and probably wake him up. Nothing a little straight-legged dead lift move won't fix though.
After I awkwardly returned my pajamas to their correct location, albeit still on backwards from when I had put them on in the dark, I poured myself another cup of joe and continued playing on the computer. The great thing is, despite how tiring and inconvenient this morning was, I wouldn't have traded it for the world. This is what it's all about. In between holding sneezes, choking back coughs, and trips to the bathroom, I got a lot of things done and got the full parenting experience at no extra charge.
Gotta run, bathroom break.