20 November 2010

We Made It

Well, we made it to Spokane in one piece. I'm not going to lie though, it was a pretty long drive since we had two young kids, drove at night, and had to take the long way around to avoid the weather. Our route was almost exactly 1,300 miles, about 150 more then the standard route. It took us 21 hours of driving time when you count stops (just over 60 mph average), but only 24 hours total. That's pretty good, all things considered.

Julia has officially won the "Easiest Kid In America" award after the trip up. She slept most of the night and otherwise listened to music, sang to herself, or played with Jonathan. She never once got irritated while she was in the car and never once cried. Jules was able to find something to keep herself entertained. She's unleashing her pent up play energy right now though.

Jonathan doesn't like to be confined at any time, let alone in a car seat for a very long period. He did really well as long as Stacey sat in the backseat and held him. So, that's what we did. Safety nuts and people that have never had kids probably think that's a really bad idea...all I can say is that I'm sure every parent has done something similar for sanity's sake. That also meant I did all but about 2 hours of the driving, but I was happy to do it since it was the best arrangement for everyone.

It was a good decision to go the long way around. With the exception of some wet snow that didn't stick to the road, we had perfect weather all the way here. It was about 2:30 a.m. when the flurries started to come down around Twin Falls, ID. Since I was tired, we pulled off at a gas station/truck stop to rest. If the snow was going to continue, I wanted to be driving it in during the day when the temps were higher and the visibility, greater. Luckily, it cleared up. We hunkered down and got some rest for a few hours. Jonathan cuddled up to Stacey and for part of the time Julia slept on my chest while we reclined in the front seat.

We're pretty much settled at Stacey's Grandma's house now. After a quick run to Walmart and dinner, we all went to sleep at "bedtime"...around 7 p.m. Pictures: Julia playing and Jonathan asleep (still chewing the strap).