We leave for Spokane a week from today. It's the first big road trip Stacey and I have taken together since we've been married. We drove from Washington to California, Boston to Colorado, and from California to Colorado on separate occasions, but we've never actually taken a real road trip together.
We are going to roll the dice and try to drive at nighttime so that the kids can sleep. I think it might be hard to drive 16-18 hours with them during the day. The good news is, we have some flexibility and can take as much time as needed to get there even if that means stopping somewhere for a few hours so Stacey can work at a coffee shop - should it take us into the work week. I'm going to try and change my sleep schedule for a day or two before we leave since I'll be doing most of the driving. It's an easy drive...take I-25 north until it ends in Montana, then take a left and head west on I-90. Technically, I-25 sort of curves and merges into I-90 so there really isn't even a turn between here and Washington. It's so easy a caveman can do it.
The weather is a wild card in addition to the kids. This trip could be easy but it also has all the ingredients necessary to be hellish. Maybe I could get a sedative or two from the veterinarian...I'm kidding. I would never give an animal sedative to my kids - half a pill works just fine! We will be able to spend the Thanksgiving holiday will all of Stacey's family. We plan on sticking around another week after that. It's nice to be free from any set schedule though...we can play it by ear.
Here's to the Sudduth family's first road trip. Wally World here we come.