Well, the weather today and this weekend has altered our travels plans. Montana has already been blanketed by a couple of inches of snow and more is expected. There is a pretty good storm that is moving in today. In addition to the snow, the temps aren't going to get much above freezing (if at all), making the I-90 route to Spokane inadvisable. With a 5 month old and a 3 year old, I'd like to avoid the snow and bad roads as much as possible.
It's a good thing I recently finished Oregon Trail for the iPad. Would you like to ford the Montana rivers? Jonathan has dysentery. Blizzard conditions: lose 2 days. Although it's about 150 miles longer, we're going to take a route very similar to the Oregon Trail. We're going to take I-80 across southern Wyoming past Independence Rock, dip down to Fort Bridger, and possibly stay overnight at Fort Boise on I-84. Around Whitman Mission we'll pick up Hwy 395 up to I-90 and the Spokane trading post.
The fact that we have go the long way around to cross the mountains farther south is a little bit of a bummer. I really like the drive across Montana. At least we are borrowing the banker's 4-running oxen and wagon. Otherwise, we would have to make the trek across in a farmer's 2 oxen Tercel. Stacey has suffered a broken arm. Would you like to rest? Let's hunt some buffalo.