14 January 2011

Limit Reached

After being off for 5 months to the day, I think I've reached my limit. It's time to polish up the 'ol resume.

It's been a good decision for our family to have me home. Since the time I left my job Stacey has been buried at work. We didn't know this was going to happen - it just worked out that way. Looking back, we both agree that Stacey wouldn't have been able to manage everything if I had still been working. In that sense my hiatus has proved to be invaluable for our family.

On the other hand, it's a little disappointing that this time didn't turn out as we had hoped. When I decided to leave my job, Stacey's workload was relatively normal and stable. The plan was for me to help her in the morning with everything while she worked and then we would have the rest of the day together with the kids to do whatever we wanted. My crown molding project combined with the kids combined with her workload since I've been home has meant we haven't had much of a break. In fact, things haven't really been that much different since I've been home. We haven't had as much time as we thought we would together.

This time also clarified our direction for the future. We've had numerous discussions about what life will look like when I go back to work, and we've come to the conclusion that we don't need or want Stacey to continue working. When I get a job, Stacey is going to quit and be a full-time Mom. We've learned that we can live happily on a budget that will probably be 1/2 to 1/3 of what I will make. We've learned that the kids really want Mom around and that Mom really wants the kids around (instead of Dad). It's pretty obvious that the best arrangement for everyone is to free up Stacey to focus on the family (no pun intended). Also, this will allow her to focus on herself...she's worked every year of her life since she was about 15. It's time for a break. Obviously, as the kids get older she could go back to work if she wanted. I don't think that's going to be necessary and only something we'd do for personal reasons - not financial or family reasons.

In the next few weeks I'll start looking for a job. I'm going to start by looking at what's out there in the civilian/contractor world (military), health care administration, and possibly non-profit. Of course, I'm open to anything worthwhile that meets my salary requirements. Last week on News 5's job segment they listed what industries/areas are hiring right now. They said: government/military, health care, and accounting/finance. I was pleasantly surprised to hear my experience lines up with that exactly. A few years ago it took me 2.5 months from the time I started looking to my first day at work. I'm guessing this time it might take me slightly longer, but it's not something I'm concerned about at all. It might take a little longer this time just because I can afford to be more selective then a few years ago.