The job search has been pretty slow lately. Today, however, I received a call back (voicemail) from a small non-profit in town. They may be interested in talking to me about running their Finance Department and ~ $4.5 million program. Their mission focuses on early childhood development, and is pretty similar in ways to the mission at Focus. The job duties listed were very similar to what I did as the Assistant Controller, except that I would have an expanded role in management and operations.
More importantly, it looks like a step in the right direction. Although it will probably pay the same as my position at Focus, it's definitely a step up and would prepare me nicely for the future. I can get my feet wet and learn the job well in an appropriate-sized environment/organization and then years from now be able to take that next step. This is that intermediate step that I've talked to some of you about. My opinion is that you have to either go: little fish in a big pond or big fish in a little pond before becoming a big fish in a big pond. It just depends on if you prefer to work your way up in one organization or if you want to get experience at a smaller level and then change organizations. Obviously, this position would be very challenging - I'm not discounting it at all.
I meet all of the requirements and qualifications letter for letter (in my opinion). Perhaps the most interesting thing about this opportunity is that if ever there was an organization that would see me taking time off to support my wife and children as a huge POSITIVE and consistent with their same values, this would be it.