28 September 2008

Hello Kitty

Julia has officially said her first words. Her first words were "Hi Kitty"!

At least a month ago (if not more) she started to make different sounds whenever she saw an animal, particularly our cat. I think it all started because she was trying to imitate the sound of a meow. At first it was just a high-pitched "eee" sound. It was really funny and cute to watch her try to meow, that's for sure.

After awhile she probably picked up on the fact that we always referred to this animal as "Kitty". Over the past few weeks Stacey has been saying the phrase "Hi Kitty" whenever Kitty has come around, since Julia likes her.

A few days ago Julia started to say "Hi Kitty", but I wasn't sure that it counted since I wondered if she really knew what she was saying. Today I was convinced that not only was she saying the words clearly, but that she associated them with Kitty. Kitty came down to the kitchen this afternoon and when Julia saw her, she started to crawl towards her while at the same time saying "Hi Kitty!" over and over again. It's unmistakable, even though she's only about 9.5 months old.

At some point we'll hear "dada" and "mama", but until then "Hi Kitty" will do just fine.