20 September 2008

Like A Kid Again

A few weeks ago I heard a noise outside. I peeked out of the kitchen window and saw one of the boys (7 years old) from next door on his front porch. I had to watch him for awhile because I couldn't figure out what he was doing. He would grab something, stick it into something that made a grinding noise, and then would neatly place it in a box next to other "somethings". After about a minute or so I made the connection that school was starting in a few days and he was excitedly and proudly preparing his school supplies (sharpening pencils) for the upcoming school year.

Tonight I felt like a kid again. I had forgotten how much fun it is to draw on cement. Although I didn't have any colored chalk, an old pencil and pencil sharpener did just fine. I happily sketched out my masterpiece, using half of a pencil in the process. It was also fun to manually sharpen a pencil once again and watch the shavings fall to the floor. Tomorrow I am going to proudly show the drawing to my Mom. I guess some things never change.