30 September 2008

Top Crash Locations

For some inexplicable reason I was surfing around the Colorado Springs Police Department website tonight.

I found the statistics they had on their site interesting (under the stats, facts, and graphs menu). I was able to look up a map of our neighborhood's crime activity by week, as well as a myriad of other information about the city of Colorado Springs. For those of you who are the big picture type, as I am, you can rest assured that you live in a relatively safe place. Compared to other cities of comparable population in the United States, Colorado Springs has roughly half the national average of crimes and half the national average of violent crimes. Add to the fact that the majority of crime happens near and around the downtown area, we're all probably pretty safe. I guess this is demonstrated by the fact that elementary and middle school kids in our neighborhood are still able to walk to school every morning by themselves.

For those of you who won't bother to visit their site, I thought you'd at least be interested in this information. Below are the 2007 top locations for automobile crashes. By my count, over half (6) are in my neck of the woods!

RANK
STREET INTERSECTIONS

1 BRIARGATE PY/N POWERS BL
2 N POWERS BL/N UNION BL
3 S ACADEMY BL/S CHELTON RD
4 HY-83/N ACADEMY BL
5 NEW CENTER PT/S CAREFREE CR
6 AUSTIN BLUFFS PY/RANGEWOOD DR
7 E WOODMEN RD/N UNION BL
8 N POWERS BL/OLD RANCH RD
9 E BIJOU ST/N ACADEMY BL
10 HY-83/N POWERS BL