20 January 2009

403...Represent!

I'm coming up on my 2 year mark at work in 2 months...yes, it's very exciting. The exciting part about the 2 year mark is that I will now qualify for 3% employer matching on contributions to a 403b retirement account. In simple terms, I can contribute as much as I want to the plan through an automatic payroll deduction and Focus will match, dollar for dollar, up to 3% of my annual salary.

I've been talking to a fellow co-worker (and a fellow veteran) in the office that has been doing this for a few years. Apparently, your cash fund (portfolio money fund - where your deposits go before you tell them where to invest it) guarantees 3% a year to keep up with inflation.

So let me get this straight...if I contribute (save) $1,000 a year to this plan, Focus will pay me an additional $1,000 and this fund will pay me an additional $30, guaranteed? That's a 103% return on my money with ZERO market risk...even if I just save and don't invest it. That's as close to free money as you can get. This is a no brainer people.