09 January 2009

iToonage

I spent last night sampling/downloading music while Stacey was at Bible study. That’s right…although I had the BCS National Championship game on the television I probably spent 2-3 hours solely “surfing” iTunes. iTunes (ok, digital music) is pretty amazing when you think about the entire process/package and how it all works. Alas, I disgress.

Remember back in the day when you heard someone say they like all kinds of music? At first, I thought this was just a teenager-like way of being non-committal and trying to please everyone. Well, maybe I’m still in high school on the music front. After I finished downloading the next round of songs I’ll be listening to over the next few months I realized that my music tastes vary greatly.

I’ve heard that revealing what’s playing on your iPod is supposed to be very personal (i.e. it probably makes people feel vulnerable). It’s probably true…but I’m probably more willing to be embarrassed for the sake of self-realization. I’m not sure what these songs say about me (other than I like variety), so I tried to group them and figured we could decide for ourselves.

Britney – Bebo Norman (Christian pop with a message, 102.7 material)
Whatever You’re Doing – Sanctus Real (Christian, but the cool kind)
Love is Here – Over and Underneath (Christian alternative)
By Your Side – Over and Underneath (Christian alternative)
Forever – Chris Brown (r&b dance mix)
Shake It – Metro Station (alternative dance mix, with a hint of 80s)
Everything – Michael Buble (adult pop vocal, 106.3 and VH1 material)
Love Story – Taylor Swift (teen country-pop crossover love song)
White Horse – Taylor Swift (country ballad)
Fall For You – Secondhand Serenade (alternative)
You Found Me – The Fray (alternative/pop)
Gives You Hell – All American Rejects (alternative)

Right, it’s much clearer now…I guess I like alternative music with some soul and an edge and that has a touch of teenie-bopper sappiness with a funky dance beat and Christian lyrics. Oh snap!!! All hail DC Talk!!! I’m going to cry now.