With all my Villa posting lately, I wanted to assure the one reader who may care (but probably not) that I haven't forgotten about Spurs.
On Friday Spurs beat Wigan 3-1 in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup. It was a slow start, but in the second half Spurs put it together and banged three past the opposition. The celebration was cut short though when we drew Manchester United in the next round.
Today we hosted the first leg of the Carling Cup semi-final against Championship-side Burnley. Of course, I mis-read what day the game was being played (I thought it was tomorrow) and saw the final score at work today. I frickin' hate that...it's one of my pet peeves, finding out the score of a game I wanted to watch when I got home. After 45 minutes of a very entertaining game, we were halfway to Burnley down 0-1 on an away goal. However, our fortunes turned quickly, and in the span of 20 minutes we put 4 past the lower division side. We've basically all but ensured we'll be heading back to Wembley Stadium to defend our current Carling Cup title. It should be a cracking game. Unfortunately, the final is probably also going to be against Manchester United...which at face value seems like a loss. However, that's what we thought last year when facing Chelsea. That's the beauty of a one-off game - despite the fact that United are the current World, European, and English champions, Spurs could still beat them in this one game.
Additionally, it was announced that Jermain Defoe is coming back to Tottenham to join his old manager and old team. Old is relative, considering Redknapp was his manager at Portsmouth less than 3 months ago and he was a Spurs player about a year ago. Personally, I'm very glad he's back. Not only do I think he'll be a great addition, but he previously left Tottenham out of necessity and not because he wanted wanted to stop playing for the club. He's loved by the fans and I'm glad he'll finally get the chance to be our number 1 choice at forward.
Considering Spurs will be facing Matt's Ukraining club in February in the UEFA Cup, and Villa in the next round if they both win...and that they'll be fighting a relegation battle as well as playing in the Carling Cup final, the first 5 months of 2009 are going to be very entertaining.