The latest book I'm reading is called "The War" by Geoffrey Ward and Ken Burns. It's a great combination of history, personal accounts, and old photographs. Last night I read a quote from Hitler that really made me think - something that I still think applies to the United States today.
"By the fall of 1941, the United States and Germany seemed very close to war. Hitler professed to be unconcerned. "I don't see much future for the Americans," he told aides. "It's a decayed country...America is half-Judaized, and the other half Negrified. How can one expect a state like that to hold together - a country where everything is built on the dollar?"
Ignoring the racial reference (and possible other meanings when referring to the dollar), his statement really made me think. Obviously, our economic might was one of the main reasons we prevailed in WW2. However, Hitler's statement was correct in that our economy is not what held us together as a nation during this time. It was our commonly held "American values" that held this country together...and will continue to hold this country together today. Although the economy is a very important issue (and one that's been the focus of our country the past few years), it's not what unites us as one.
This was a good reminder from a very unlikely source, given the current state of affairs in this country and around the world. I think in today's consumerist society these ideals are easily forgotten.