UPDATE: After thinking through the process a bit more, I've changed my mind again. I am going to use tape instead of free handing the paint. The trick is, you have to make sure the tape is on the trim edges rather then the wall. That makes it look nice. When in doubt, it looks better to have color on the trim then white on the wall, if that makes sense. I've also decided that despite some inefficiencies, I'm going to do a room at a time until it's done. The variety of work and sense of accomplishment will do wonders for my sanity and morale. Check it - I've finished my first room in the house (I don't care if it's one of the smallest)!
13 February 2011
Work Weekend Recap
Argh! I worked 21 of the 50 hours that I was family-less. In the end, most of my time was spent on a ladder in the basement taping off the trim. The caulking only took a fraction of the time. Once I made it to the colorful upstairs (in the cold light of day), I decided to abandon taping. The bold colors on the main level combined with the light showed each and every mistake. Instead, I'm just going to throw the caulk up, make a nice bead, paint the trim white, then come back and carefully free hand the line with the wall color. It should save me hours and hours.
UPDATE: After thinking through the process a bit more, I've changed my mind again. I am going to use tape instead of free handing the paint. The trick is, you have to make sure the tape is on the trim edges rather then the wall. That makes it look nice. When in doubt, it looks better to have color on the trim then white on the wall, if that makes sense. I've also decided that despite some inefficiencies, I'm going to do a room at a time until it's done. The variety of work and sense of accomplishment will do wonders for my sanity and morale. Check it - I've finished my first room in the house (I don't care if it's one of the smallest)!



UPDATE: After thinking through the process a bit more, I've changed my mind again. I am going to use tape instead of free handing the paint. The trick is, you have to make sure the tape is on the trim edges rather then the wall. That makes it look nice. When in doubt, it looks better to have color on the trim then white on the wall, if that makes sense. I've also decided that despite some inefficiencies, I'm going to do a room at a time until it's done. The variety of work and sense of accomplishment will do wonders for my sanity and morale. Check it - I've finished my first room in the house (I don't care if it's one of the smallest)!