08 February 2011

Interview Recap

Thanks to all of you who asked how my first interview went. Overall, it went OK. I don't think that either party is interested in meeting for a second time. I could be wrong, but I don't think I'll get a call back after this introductory interview. It was good practice and even if I do get called back, I'll respectfully decline.

One of the challenges was that I wasn't given the job description until I showed up for the interview. I had about a minute to scan the job description before the hour-long interview began. Needless to say, I wasn't able to prepare very well regarding specifics. On the other hand, if I knew everything about the job that I know now, I don't know if I would have applied in the first place. That's just part of the process. It was kind of like a blind date. We met, things went fine, but I don't think you'll see us on the next e-harmony commercial.

This interview helped solidify where I am going to focus my effort. Since the interview (and even before then), I have decided that I want to focus on the defense industry. I think I'm probably most qualified to get a job as a defense contractor or civilian anyway. I've found 5 different jobs just in the past few days that I think would be a good fit. The latest job I applied for was a Senior Financial Analyst job with Lockheed Martin, working (most likely) at the Tricare Management Activity office in town. My resume should fit well since I have both the financial and medical experience needed. At some point I'll get a job like this...I think it's only a matter of time. I'm willing to wait longer if that means getting a job that I'll enjoy more and one that pays well.